Backpacking used to only be for the adventurous, but with the current rise of global tourism, it has now become a common trend. Not only is it a cheaper way to travel, but it also connects fellow backpackers.
Now, people are bringing their backpacking tents on their journey to escape from the stress of the fast-paced urban lifestyle to make them feel like they’re having a real vacation.
However, not just any backpacking tent will do. You must consider buying the best backpacking tent that you can find not only to save money and time but to enhance your experience.
Best bACKPACKING TENTS 2018
THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN BUYING
To make things easier I have reviewed best family tents in every category. Let's check them
How many of you are travelling? Are you going somewhere cold? Somewhere warm? Here are some of the things you should consider.
SINGLE-WALL OR DOUBLE-WALL? THREE SEASON OR FOUR SEASON TENT?
- If you are going solo and on a long hike that requires endurance, bring a single-wall tent. If you prefer a tent with better ventilation but heavier, then go for a double-wall tent.
- Three season tents are good year-round use and even in light winter, but if you are going to places with harsh weather conditions, then a four season tent is a better alternative.
Quality and Durability of the Tent
- Do you think the materials would last the entire trip and for further trips to come? Does the fabric have any defects? Is it stretchable? Is it waterproof? Is it comfortable?
- Checking the quality of your materials before buying them would help to ensure you have a top-notch tent and a pleasant outdoor experience.
Weight, Capacity, and Size
- Make sure that you can carry the tent comfortably. Remember that you’ll be lugging it around in your backpack for days.
- Make sure that the materials of the tent fit inside your backpack with space for extra stuff. Wouldn’t it be a shame to buy a tent that you can’t even bring with you?
- Lastly, make sure that you have enough room to wiggle around inside of the tent and that it is comfortable for you to sleep in.
- Ventilation and Temperature
- Check if the tent is warm or cool inside and if the temperature is not only bearable, but also comfortable.
- Most importantly, check the ventilation of the tent. Make sure that air can enter in and out of the tent.
- Make sure the interior of the tent doesn’t have issues with condensation.
Now that we have that out of the way, let’s take a look at some of the promising backpacking tents in the market.
This 2-person tent is easy to set up and its design enables impressive ventilation. It contains a ground vent that helps circulate air, mesh vents on the roof for additional ventilation and large windows that ensure a perfect and comfortable temperature inside the tent.
The Coleman Sundome 2 Tent can comfortably fit in two campers and has a large entrance door which can be opened and closed via a hooded fly. It is easy to setup and contains instructions that are easy to follow, even for the most inexperienced campers.
The Coleman Sundome 2 also contains convenient clips and pockets on its side to store your items, as well as an electrical access port to run power into the tent.
- Ground vent and large windows circulate air up and out
- Insta-Clip™ Pole attachments durable in the wind
- 7 ft. x 5 ft., fits two people
- 4 ft. center height
- Dome design for quick setup (10 minutes)
- Storage pockets will help you stay organized while camping
- WeatherTec™ System—inverted seams and patented welded floors keep water out
- Carry bag included for easy transport
- 1-year limited warranty
- Snag-free, continuous pole sleeves for easy setup
- Rainfly awning for shade and rain protection
SummaryThe Coleman Sundome 2 is a great budget tent with all the features you need for camping. Because of its low price, it’s a perfect practice tent for your kids to try out and prepare for future camping trips. The ventilation allows you retain heat in cold weather and circulate air when it’s hot. Overall, the Coleman Sundome 2 is a great choice if you’re just starting out since it is very simple, cheap and easy to use.
Designed by ALPS Mountaineering, a company dedicated to developing and manufacturing high-quality outdoor products. The Lynx 1-Person Tent was designed for solo getaways. It set up easily with its freestanding design and aluminum poles that are easy to attach and sever.
Most of the walls are covered in mesh, increasing its ventilation. It is also coated with polyester to provide increased protection from rain and UV rays. Waterproof walls ensure that you stay dry, even in heavy rain.
The Lynx 1-Person Tent has a base size of 7’6 x 2’8, a centre high of 3’ and a total weight of 1.03 kilograms.
- Extra-large #8 zippers
- One door and vestibule
- Free-standing two-pole design with 7000 series aluminum poles
- Vestibules for extra weather protection and gear storage
- Half mesh walls for increased ventilation
- Gear loft, 7075 aluminum stakes, guy ropes and mesh storage pockets included
- Weatherproof fly buckles for maximum adjustability and protection
- Great ventilation and easy entry
- 75D 185T polyester fly which is equipped with 1500mm coating can prevent UV damage and keeps it taut
- Best weather protection with factory sealed fly and floor seams
SummaryThe ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 1-Person Tent is a great choice if you are solo trekking or if you want to travel light. It provides good ventilation, is easy to set up and has been given great reviews by people all over the internet. If you’re the type who prefers traveling solo, light and practically, then the ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 1-Person Tent might be the tent for you.
The CCTRO 2 Person Camping Tent is easy to setup, takedown and relocate. It contains enough livable space for two people with enough room for your equipment.
It contains durable and sturdy 190T fabric with waterproof floors and flies to protect against rain. It has a large open mesh area, which gives excellent cross ventilation all throughout the night. It also contains strong metal zippers, which are highly durable.
The CCTRO 2 Person Camping Tent comes with an inner tent, 6 tent pegs, a rain fly, 4 wind ropes, and its own carrying bag. It also comes with a 2-year warranty and a 30-day money back guarantee.
- The tent has excellent ventilation, which contains an insect screen with two zippers. Its open mesh roof area provides additional ventilation.
- Two-way zippers are easy to use and durable both inside and out.
- Ideal for camping, traveling, and hiking.
- Contains inside pockets on the walls, which allow you to easily store small items.
- This 2 people double layer tent can accommodate 2 full grown adults, and its own flysheet can be used as protection against mosquitoes.
- Tent Size: 72.8x 55.1x 43.3 inches / 6.1'x 4.6'x 3.6' / 185x 140x 110 cm Package Size: 16.9x 5.1x 5.1 inches / 43x 13x 13 cm Package Weight: 4.2lb / 1.9kg Package included: 1 x Inner Tent, 1 x Rain fly, 6 x Tent pegs, 4 x Wind Rope, 1 x Carrying Bag
- High quality and very durable. Its rain fly fabric is made out of 190T PU with a 210D Oxford fabric floor and fully taped seams. Has 8.5 mm fiber glass poles for tent construction.
SummaryCCTRO 2 Person Camping Tent is a great tent to bring when traveling with a friend or romantic partner. It has enough space to fit 2 fully grown adults and enough room for recreational activities. It is very light, weighing only 1.9 kilograms, including the package. If you’re looking for a lightweight and spacious tent big enough for two people, then the CCTRO 2 Person Camping Tent might be the tent for you.
- Single door and vestibule
- Polyester fly with a PU coating
- Polyester walls with mesh panels
- Nylon floor has PU coating and taped seams
- Noiseless zipper pulls easily
- Easy Set Up
- Easy entry door
- Color-coded clip and fly attachment
- Fully seam taped construction
- Roll top tube carry bag
- compact folding poles that fit into a backpack perfectly
- Two DAC press-fit aluminum poles and color-coded clips
- Gear-loft loops and internal pockets
- Floor Dimensions: 88 x 55 in
- Floor Space: 30.5 square feet
SummaryOverall, the Kelty Salida 2 seems to be a very good tent with the pros outweighing the cons. Interior space is very important when it comes to tents and the Kelty Salida 2 seems to be the most promising on our list. However, its poor rain resistance and condensation problems might prove to be a big drawback.
The official tent of the National Park Foundation. The Coleman Longs Peak 6-Person Fast Pitch Dome Tent is the largest tent featured in our list, with a size of 10x10 feet and capable of housing up to 6 people.
The Coleman Longs Peaks uses “The Fast Pitch™” system, which uses hubs and poles that are pre-attached and have snag-free Insta-Clip suspension so you can pitch your tent a whole lot faster.
The Coleman Longs Peaks also contain the patented Weather Tec™ technology which uses inverted seems and welded floors, so you stay dry and warm when it’s cold outside.
The Coleman Longs Peaks also contains the Illumiline™ reflective guy lines to make it easier to see at night.
With all of the features above, the Coleman Longs Peaks seems to be the ideal choice when it comes to group outings.
- 10 x 10 feet area
- 6 ft. center height
- 1-year limited warranty
- Spacious interior has room for 2 queen airbeds
- Easy setup in about 6 minutes
- Carry bag with rip strip makes packing up easy
- Durable, Polyguard™ fabric is made to last season after season
- WeatherTec™ system which is welded floors (with patent) and inverted seams help keep water out
- Illumiline™ reflective guy lines for greater visibility at night
- Fast Pitch™ system features fast fit feet, poles, and hub, fast as well as snag-free Insta-Clip™ suspension
- Official tent of the National Park Foundation
SummaryThe Coleman Longs Peaks seems to be the best tent on our list since it has durability, is weatherproof, spacious and easy to setup. Its only downside is that it is very heavy, which is ideal when you have 6 or more people in your group to help carry it, but any less than that and your group will struggle if they have to carry it a significant distance.
So what is the best backpacking tent?
The products above all have amazing features as well as drawbacks. The Lynx 1-Person Tent seems to be a good choice when you’re traveling alone, while on the other hand the Kelty Salida 2 Tent, with its large interior is a fine choice to spend quality time with your son or have a romantic evening with your girlfriend.
The Coleman Sundome is cheap, easy to use and durable which is the perfect tent for newbies or outdoor enthusiasts.
However, the tent that exceeded my expectations was the Coleman Longs Peak. It is capable of housing 6 people, is very durable, easy to use and overall has a lot of conveniences attached to it. This tent seems to be the perfect choice when traveling in groups.
So, if I were to decide, I’d choose either the Coleman Sundome, CCTRO or the ALPS Mountaineering Lynx Tent for my solo travels. All three have excellent quality, rain protection, and portability.
If I were to spend some quality time with my girlfriend or friend, then I’d bring the Kelty Salida 2 Tent since it has a very large interior for all the intimate recreational activities that we will be doing.
If I were to travel in a group, then we’d split the Coleman Longs Peak which in my opinion is the best tent on this list.